Homemade Morel Mushroom Gravy
- 1-2 lbs. of fresh morels (I cut mine in half longways and soak in saltwater overnight to get rid of any bugs).
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Dash of paprika
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach (optional)
1. Rinse off mushrooms and spinach if using
2. Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet on medium heat
3. Add chicken broth, heavy cream and flour. Stir constantly removing all lumps of flour (it helps if you mix flour with some milk before pouring into skillet). Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika. Bring to a slow boil and keep stirring until the gravy thickens.
4. Reduce to medium heat and add mushrooms and spinach.Note: it may look like a lot but the mushrooms and spinach with both shrink.
5. Cook until spinach is wilted and mushrooms have reduced to about half the original size. Stir in sour cream.
Serve with chicken breast, rice, pasta, steak or pork chops!